The Douglas County Libraries Code of Conduct is intended to maintain library facilities, materials, and environment
that are welcoming to all. Only lawful behavior which does not disturb or infringe on the rights of library customers,
volunteers, or staff is permitted.
Prohibited behaviors may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Engaging in abusive or disruptive behaviors that interfere with library operations and/or the use and enjoyment
of the library by others. Examples of such behaviors may include:
- Repeatedly challenging or confronting staff.
- Utilizing hostile, loud, abusive, obscene, offensive, rude, explicit, or vulgar language.
- Touching, or inflicting unwanted physical contact upon another person.
- Intoxication or unauthorized use or possession of drugs or alcohol.
- Obtaining, possessing, transferring or in any way using the identifying information of another without consent.
Misuse of library card(s) or misrepresentation to library staff, including using multiple library cards, using
another person’s library card without prior permission, or extending technology or facility use beyond
established time periods.
- Engaging in activities inappropriate for a public library facility, including loud social interaction, bathing,
washing or drying of clothes or utensils, meal or food preparation, or sleeping, that impedes others from using
library spaces or resources. No overnight camping or parking is permitted on library property.
- Failure to wear appropriate attire, or having attire that detracts from the enjoyment of the library by others or
damages library property.
- Using library computers or internet to view sexually explicit or pornographic materials.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children and dependent adults.
- Posing a health, safety, or sanitary risk, or having bodily hygiene that detracts from the enjoyment of the library
by others or damages library property.
- Customers may have with them no more than one shopping cart or item of wheeled luggage. Skates,
Rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters must be carried while on library property. Bicycles should remain
outside of library buildings.
- Smoking and electronic smoking devices or use of tobacco products anywhere inside the library or within
20 feet of the library building.
- Panhandling, conducting surveys or unauthorized sales, distributing leaflets, or circulating petitions inside the
library building, impeding entry to or exit from the library for other customers, or posting notices without prior
staff approval. Using the parking lot for purposes unrelated to visiting the library and using its services.
- Other behaviors deemed inappropriate by the Executive Library Director or a designated staff member.
The library reserves the right to determine whether any person is in violation of this Code of
Conduct or any other library procedures. Misconduct may lead to verbal and written warnings,
explanations, and written copies of library policies and procedures. Depending upon the seriousness
of the violation, staff members may ask an individual to stop conducting the prohibited behavior,
and/or to leave the premises immediately, and/or summon law enforcement for assistance, or
pursue other legal action, either with or without a prior warning